Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Appliance Appraisal #2

My second appliance is one that I use, at a minimum, once a week...and I hope you do too! It is so versatile and handy.  Yep, you guessed it: the amazing world of crock-pots! The best part about a crock-pot is that I can get my food ready, place it in the crock-pot, and forget about it.  I've been known to have meals going through the night (thus, distracting Captain America from his beauty sleep since it "smells so good"), and many times wish that I could have two going at the same time.  I am perfectly fine with one but there are times that I think of how much more I could accomplish, if I had two!

Today, I had a crate full of apples, that needed to be made into applesauce, pronto...I only got through half the crate (see why I could use two crock-pots at the same time?)...
So, what do I use this ingenious crock-pot for? Roasts, stews, fruit sauces (apples, rhubarb, strawberries, peaches, nectarines), tomato/spaghetti sauce, soups, ground meats, broth, etc.  I know that there are many cookbooks devoted to just the use of the crock-pot and also plenty of blogs on how to eat from a crock-pot for an entire year.  So, I'm sure you can find many recipes to meet your particular food needs.  For someone cooking SCD, this appliance is specifically amazing for the first two stages, when food needs to be well-cooked.

I enjoy this appliance because I can cook large batches of food, I don't have to be standing over the stove, it can cook over night and while I'm at work, it makes meat taste really good, and it doesn't heat up the whole kitchen.  All in all, it is an "I can't imagine cooking without it" type of appliance.
~Andréa
What is your favorite use for a crock-pot? What can you change in your weekly routine to involve a crock-pot? It provides the option of spending less time in the kitchen and more time doing things you love...

No comments: