Thursday, November 13, 2014

Birthday Getaway to Lummi Island

On my birthday, last month, Captain America gave me a letter that explained my birthday getaway, compliments of two handsome companions...himself and Amos.  So this last weekend, we were able to put his invitation to action by going to Lummi Island for four whole days! My favorite place in the Pacific Northwest is the San Juan Islands and Lummi Island surely did not disappoint!
With a population of only 816 residents and close proximity to Bellingham (a quick ten minute ferry ride), Lummi Island has remained commercially underdeveloped...and we definitely noticed how friendly everyone is there!  Here are some pics from our stay...WARNING: it just might make you want to visit...



There is a 7-mile loop around Lummi, so of course we had to run it. The view, the whole time, was absolutely beautiful...plus there weren't many cars to compete with!  We were also able to go hiking around a couple of the nature preserves that they have on the island...
Right next to the cottage we stayed at was an outdoor bocci ball court with available bocci balls (because who would ever think of stealing on such an island, right?).  So Captain America and I enjoyed a couple of matches.  We actually got into it and had to end it after we both won two games...we agreed it was better to walk away when we were tied!
The cute cottage that we stayed at was only 450 square feet but it was perfect for the two of us. It also had a great view of "Legoe Bay."
It is always good for us and our marriage to find time to get away and be together.  Regardless of how crazy life can get, we know that it's just as important to have some distance from all of our commitments.  Without all of the distractions, it was a great time to relax, breath some fresh air, enjoy each other's company, and rest our souls.
Although it is great being away, Captain America and I always love coming back home after being gone for a bit.  I'm not sure what it is, but being away, makes me appreciate home more.  So, I guess there are two sides to getting away: I get to relax and distance myself from the day-to-day life but then I also come back replenished and find myself enjoying the day-to-day life more because it's 'home'.
~Andréa
What do you find yourself doing to get away and replenish?

No comments: